In 2009, AES commissioned DuPont Safety Resources to perform an independent global survey regarding safety behaviors and attitudes at AES. The results from this survey formed the foundation for a comprehensive three-year action plan, and in 2010, AES businesses began a company-wide initiative to achieve world-class safety levels by the end of 2012.
Our three-year action plan was supported by company-wide safety goals, which each AES business implemented in alignment with its local working conditions. For example, goals included specific targets such as requiring a certain number of “quality safety walks” at facilities, or projects or system improvement goals such as implementing local processes to track safety findings until effective responsive action plans fully addressed a situation.
The result – The three-year program saw our incident rates drop to 1/3 of the rate they used to be, for AES People and Contractors too.
Our safety culture. How have we changed?
- Safety culture is stronger
- Businesses have developed and effectively implemented more quality safety processes and procedures
- Reporting culture is present and showing much improvement
- People are taking safety concepts into their personal lives
- People’s involvement in safety processes has increased